Welcome to LEGOLAND Orlando, a magical theme park dedicated to all things LEGO! Located in Florida, USA, LEGOLAND Orlando offers a unique experience for families and LEGO enthusiasts alike. With plenty of rides, attractions, shows, and LEGO models, this park is a must-visit destination for anyone looking for a fun-filled day out. In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know about LEGOLAND Orlando, from the themed lands to the dining options, and provide tips for making the most of your visit. Get ready to discover the magic of LEGOLAND Orlando!
Introduction to LEGOLAND Orlando
If you’re a fan of LEGOs, theme parks, or just plain fun, LEGOLAND Orlando should definitely be on your list of places to visit. Located in Winter Haven, Florida, this amusement park is a dream come true for LEGO lovers of all ages.
What is LEGOLAND Orlando?
LEGOLAND Florida is a theme park and resort located in Winter Haven, Florida, United States. It is a popular family destination focused on the iconic LEGO toy brand, featuring a variety of attractions, rides, shows, and experiences inspired by LEGO toys and characters. The park opened in 2011 on the site of the former Cypress Gardens, a historic botanical garden and theme park.
LEGOLAND Florida offers numerous themed areas, such as Miniland USA, which showcases miniature LEGO versions of famous landmarks from across the United States. Other themed areas include LEGO Kingdoms, LEGO Technic, LEGO City, and more. The park also features a water park, which includes water slides, a wave pool, and other aquatic attractions. In addition to the park itself, there is a LEGOLAND Hotel and a LEGOLAND Beach Retreat for guests who wish to extend their stay and enjoy a more immersive LEGO experience.
History of LEGOLAND Orlando
LEGOLAND Florida was built on the site of the former Cypress Gardens, a historic botanical garden and theme park that first opened in 1936 in Winter Haven, Florida. Cypress Gardens was known for its beautiful gardens, water ski shows, and Southern Belles, but it struggled financially in the later years of its operation. The park changed ownership several times and eventually closed its doors in 2009.
Merlin Entertainments, a British company and the world’s second-largest visitor attraction operator, saw potential in the location and purchased the Cypress Gardens property in January 2010. They announced plans to build a new LEGOLAND theme park on the site, which would become the second LEGOLAND park in the United States, following LEGOLAND California. Merlin Entertainments also committed to preserving the historic botanical gardens and incorporating them into the new park.
Construction of LEGOLAND Florida began in 2010, with the park officially opening on October 15, 2011. The 150-acre park was designed to cater to families with children between the ages of 2 and 12, featuring LEGO-themed attractions, rides, and shows. As the park grew in popularity, new additions and expansions were made, including the opening of the LEGOLAND Water Park in 2012 and the construction of the LEGOLAND Hotel in 2015. The LEGOLAND Beach Retreat opened in 2017, offering additional accommodation options for guests.
Today, LEGOLAND Florida continues to expand and improve its offerings, solidifying its position as a popular family destination in Central Florida.
Exploring the LEGO-Themed Lands
From castles to space travel to Lego pirates, LEGOLAND Orlando offers a variety of exciting themed lands for visitors to explore.
Overview of the Themed Lands
LEGOLAND Florida features several themed lands, each offering a unique experience inspired by LEGO toys and characters. Here’s an overview of the main themed lands in the park:
- The Beginning: This is the entrance area of the park, where guests can find guest services, stroller rental, and several shops, including The Big Shop, which is the largest retail store in the park, offering a wide variety of LEGO sets and merchandise.
- Fun Town: This area is designed to resemble a small town and features attractions such as the Grand Carousel, a double-decker carousel with LEGO-themed horses, and the Wells Fargo Fun Town 4D Theater, which shows 4D LEGO movies.
- Miniland USA: This impressive area showcases miniature LEGO versions of famous landmarks from across the United States. Guests can admire intricate LEGO models of cities like New York City, Las Vegas, and Washington, D.C., as well as a section dedicated to the Star Wars universe.
- DUPLO Valley: Catering to the youngest visitors, DUPLO Valley features attractions designed for toddlers and preschoolers. Attractions include the DUPLO Train, DUPLO Tractor, and the DUPLO Splash & Play water play area.
- LEGO Kingdoms: This medieval-themed land features attractions like The Dragon, a family-friendly roller coaster that takes guests through a castle filled with LEGO characters, and the Royal Joust, where kids can ride LEGO-themed horses through a medieval jousting tournament.
- Land of Adventure: Themed around exploration and adventure, this area features attractions such as the Lost Kingdom Adventure, an interactive dark ride where guests can shoot at targets to uncover hidden treasures, and Beetle Bounce, a ride that sends children up and down on giant beetles.
- LEGO City: This area resembles a bustling LEGO metropolis and includes attractions such as the Ford Driving School, where kids can learn to drive LEGO-themed cars, and the Boating School, which allows guests to captain their own boats along a guided waterway.
- Imagination Zone: This area is dedicated to inspiring creativity and learning through play. It features attractions like the LEGO MINDSTORMS center, where guests can learn to program and control LEGO robots, and the Build & Test area, where visitors can create their own LEGO vehicles and race them on a test track.
- LEGO Technic: This land focuses on the more advanced LEGO Technic building system and features attractions such as The Great LEGO Race, a virtual reality roller coaster, and the AQUAZONE Wave Racers, where guests can pilot their own watercraft and dodge water blasts.
- Pirates’ Cove: This pirate-themed area features a live-action water ski show, “Battle for Brickbeard’s Bounty,” set on the waters of Lake Eloise.
- Heartlake City: Themed around the LEGO Friends toy line, Heartlake City offers attractions like Mia’s Riding Adventure, a disc coaster where guests can ride horses on a spinning platform, and Stephanie’s Surprise Party, a rotating tower ride.
- LEGOLAND Water Park: This separate-ticket water park offers a variety of water slides, a wave pool, a lazy river, and other aquatic attractions, all designed with the LEGO theme in mind.
These themed lands offer a diverse range of experiences, making LEGOLAND Florida an exciting and engaging destination for families with children of various ages and interests.
Fun-Filled Rides and Attractions
LEGOLAND Florida offers a selection of family-friendly roller coasters and thrill rides designed to cater to a wide range of ages and interests. Some of the notable roller coasters and thrill rides at the park include:
- The Dragon: Located in the LEGO Kingdoms area, The Dragon is a family-friendly roller coaster that takes guests on an exciting journey through a castle filled with LEGO characters before embarking on a thrilling outdoor ride.
- The Great LEGO Race: Situated in the LEGO Technic area, The Great LEGO Race is a virtual reality roller coaster experience that combines a traditional roller coaster ride with VR headsets, immersing guests in a high-speed LEGO-themed race.
- Coastersaurus: Located in the Land of Adventure, Coastersaurus is a wooden roller coaster that winds its way around life-sized LEGO dinosaurs. This coaster offers a thrilling experience with a prehistoric twist.
- Flying School: In the LEGO City area, Flying School is a suspended steel coaster that simulates the experience of flying a plane. Guests sit in coaster cars that hang from an overhead track, allowing their feet to dangle as they soar through the air.
- Mia’s Riding Adventure: This disc coaster ride, located in Heartlake City, offers a thrilling experience as guests ride on horse-shaped seats attached to a spinning platform that swings back and forth along a curved track.
- AQUAZONE Wave Racers: In the LEGO Technic area, AQUAZONE Wave Racers is a thrilling water ride where guests can pilot their own watercraft around a circular track while dodging water blasts from spectators.
- Unikitty’s Disco Drop: Located in The LEGO Movie World, Unikitty’s Disco Drop is a drop tower ride that takes guests on a colorful journey with Unikitty, a character from The LEGO Movie. The ride features sudden drops, spins, and bounces, providing a thrilling experience.
- Masters of Flight: Also in The LEGO Movie World, Masters of Flight is a flying theater attraction that takes guests on an exhilarating adventure with characters from The LEGO Movie. Guests sit on a rotating platform that simulates flying while watching a movie on a dome-shaped screen.
These roller coasters and thrill rides offer a variety of experiences for families and children, making LEGOLAND Florida a fun and engaging destination for those seeking a mix of excitement and LEGO-themed adventures.
LEGO Models and Displays
One of the most exciting aspects of LEGOLAND Orlando is the incredible LEGO models and displays that can be found throughout the park.
Overview of LEGO Models and Displays
From grand castles to intricate replicas of famous landmarks, LEGOLAND Orlando has a fantastic collection of LEGO models and displays that are sure to impress.
LEGO Factory Tour
The LEGO Factory Tour is a thrilling experience that shows how LEGO bricks are made from start to finish in a fun interactive way.
LEGO Star Wars Miniland Model Display
Star Wars fans will love the LEGO Star Wars Miniland Model Display, which features intricate models of iconic scenes and characters from the popular movie franchise.
Entertainment and Shows
LEGOLAND Florida offers a variety of live entertainment and shows that cater to families and children of all ages. Some of the notable entertainment options at the park include:
- Battle for Brickbeard’s Bounty: Located in Pirates’ Cove, this live-action water ski show features a cast of talented performers and LEGO pirate characters, engaging in an exciting and comedic battle on the waters of Lake Eloise. The show includes stunts, acrobatics, and special effects.
- LEGO City 4D – Officer in Pursuit!: Shown at the Wells Fargo Fun Town 4D Theater in Fun Town, this 4D movie experience combines 3D animation with in-theater effects like wind, water, and bubbles, immersing guests in an action-packed LEGO City adventure.
- Friends to the Rescue: This live musical performance takes place in Heartlake City and features the LEGO Friends characters singing, dancing, and interacting with the audience. The show encourages audience participation and promotes themes of friendship and teamwork.
- Character Meet and Greets: Throughout the park, guests have the opportunity to meet and take pictures with various LEGO characters, such as LEGO Friends, LEGO Ninjago, and characters from The LEGO Movie. These interactions provide memorable experiences for children and fans of the LEGO franchises.
- The LEGO Movie Days: During special event days, the park hosts The LEGO Movie-themed activities and entertainment, such as character dance parties, scavenger hunts, and exclusive photo opportunities with characters from The LEGO Movie franchise.
- Seasonal Events: LEGOLAND Florida also hosts seasonal events, such as Brick or Treat during Halloween and Holidays at LEGOLAND during the Christmas season. These events often feature unique entertainment, shows, and activities that celebrate the holiday spirit in a LEGO-themed manner.
The entertainment and shows at LEGOLAND Florida are designed to be engaging and fun for the whole family, providing memorable experiences that immerse guests in the world of LEGO.
Dining and Shopping at LEGOLAND Orlando
LEGOLAND Florida offers a variety of dining and shopping options for guests to enjoy during their visit. The park features a range of food outlets, from quick-service restaurants to sit-down eateries, catering to different tastes and preferences. Some of the notable dining options include:
- Granny’s Apple Fries: A LEGOLAND favorite, Granny’s Apple Fries serves freshly made apple fries dusted with cinnamon sugar and served with a whipped cream dipping sauce.
- Burger Kitchen: Located in LEGO City, Burger Kitchen offers a variety of burgers, chicken sandwiches, salads, and more, all served in a casual, fast-food setting.
- Fun Town Pizza & Pasta Buffet: Situated in Fun Town, this all-you-can-eat buffet offers a selection of pizzas, pasta dishes, salads, and desserts in a family-friendly environment.
- Firehouse Ice Cream: For a sweet treat, guests can visit Firehouse Ice Cream in LEGO City, which serves a variety of ice cream flavors, sundaes, and milkshakes.
- Panini Grill: Located in the Imagination Zone, Panini Grill offers a selection of freshly made panini sandwiches, salads, and snacks.
In addition to dining options, LEGOLAND Florida also features numerous shops selling a wide range of LEGO sets, toys, clothing, and souvenirs. Some of the popular shopping options include:
- The Big Shop: Located in The Beginning, The Big Shop is the largest retail store in the park, offering an extensive selection of LEGO sets, apparel, and souvenirs for guests to choose from.
- Heartlake Mall: Situated in Heartlake City, this store specializes in LEGO Friends merchandise, including sets, clothing, and accessories.
- King’s Market: In the LEGO Kingdoms area, King’s Market offers a variety of medieval-themed merchandise, such as costumes, toys, and souvenirs.
- Minifigure Market: Located in Fun Town, this shop allows guests to create and customize their own LEGO minifigures from a wide selection of parts and accessories.
- LEGO Studio Store: Situated near the Wells Fargo Fun Town 4D Theater, the LEGO Studio Store offers LEGO sets and merchandise inspired by popular movies and franchises, such as Star Wars, Marvel, and more.
These dining and shopping options provide guests with an opportunity to take a break from the attractions and enjoy a meal or snack while also picking up souvenirs and gifts to remember their visit to LEGOLAND Florida.
Tips for a Successful Visit to LEGOLAND Orlando
A successful visit to LEGOLAND Orlando requires a bit of planning. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your day at the park.
Best Time to Visit
To avoid the crowds, try to visit LEGOLAND Orlando on a weekday during the off-season, usually from September through February. You’ll have shorter wait times for rides and attractions, and the park won’t be as crowded.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Day
To make the most of your day at LEGOLAND Orlando, arrive early and prioritize your must-see attractions. Be sure to download the park’s mobile app to check wait times and show schedules, and take advantage of the Fast Pass system to skip the lines.
Getting Around the Park
LEGOLAND Orlando is a large park, so it’s important to wear comfortable shoes and take breaks throughout the day. If you’re traveling with young children, consider renting a stroller or bring your own.
Conclusion: Why LEGOLAND Orlando is a Must-Visit Destination
With its impressive entertainment options, delicious food, and unique shopping experiences, LEGOLAND Orlando is a must-visit destination for families and LEGO fans alike. Be sure to plan your visit in advance to get the most out of this magical park!In conclusion, LEGOLAND Orlando is a theme park that offers something for everyone. From thrilling rides and attractions to incredible LEGO models and displays, there’s no shortage of fun and excitement. Whether you’re a LEGO fan or simply looking for a great day out with the family, LEGOLAND Orlando should definitely be on your list of must-visit destinations. So pack your bags, grab your tickets, and get ready to discover the magic of LEGOLAND Orlando!
What age group is LEGOLAND Orlando suitable for?
LEGOLAND Orlando caters to families with children aged 2-12, but there are also plenty of attractions and experiences for adults to enjoy. The park is designed with children in mind, but everyone can have a great time here.
Can I bring my own food and drinks to LEGOLAND Orlando?
Outside food and drinks are not allowed inside LEGOLAND Orlando, with the exception of baby food and special dietary needs. However, there are plenty of dining options within the park to suit all tastes and budgets.
What is the best time of day to visit LEGOLAND Orlando?
The park is generally less crowded in the late afternoon and evenings, so if you’re looking to avoid the crowds, consider visiting during these times. Also, weekdays are generally less busy than weekends and holidays.
Is LEGOLAND Orlando accessible for people with disabilities?
Yes, LEGOLAND Orlando is fully accessible for people with disabilities. The park offers a range of services, including wheelchair rentals and special access passes for certain attractions. There are also accessible restrooms and dining facilities throughout the park.